However this election cycle was different. With Hulshof still in the race, Judy Baker decided to challenge him. In a matter of a few weeks, she raised over $100,000 before the New Year. She was a serious challenger and was going to take the fight to him. We all knew what happened next. Kenny decided to run for governor and 3 primary challengers joined Baker in vying the Democratic party's nomination.
So why should DFA endorse Judy for Congress, there are 7 main reasons
- Judy has amassed at least 250,000 dollars in this race.
- She is a unabashed progressive and served in the state legislature
- She is running for an open seat.
- She has received the endorsement of Emily's list, a rather large and influential PAC.
- Being married to a pastor, she will have appeal to those independent rural swing voters.
- She is one of ActBlue's top ten fundraisers
- This one is the most important, she entered the race when the fight was on. Her challengers entered the race when it was easier.